Enjoy easy grab-and-go, make ahead breakfast burritos are a great breakfast when you're short on time in the morning. Pop one in the microwave to heat through and you're on your way. Filled with delicious chorizo, Italian sausage, eggs, cheese, and avocados they're guaranteed to be a Whole Lotta Yum!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Make Ahead Breakfast Burrito
Our make ahead breakfast burrito recipe is perfect for those busy mornings when you need breakfast, but you don't have time to make a whole meal. Inside you'll have everything you love about breakfast wrapped up in a lightly fried tortilla.
Make a large batch then freeze them, this ensures you always have a ready-to-eat meal whenever you need it. Not to mention, you'll save a bunch of money not buying fast food. Plus breakfast burritos are easily customized to your tastes. You can truly have it your way!
Why You'll Love This!
- Great for meal prep- When you're short on time during the week, having prepared burritos at the ready will make your mornings run smoothly.
- Super yummy- Full of flavor and easily customizable.
- Quick and easy! An easy hot breakfast that you can take on the go.
- Budget Friendly - Prepared breakfasts are always going to be cheaper than a fast food breakfast. Plus you get as much as you want!
- We show you how to make these a healthy freezer meal for busy mornings.
🥘 Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
Flavorful breakfast sausage and chorizo, fresh vegetables, creamy shredded cheese and avocados make for the most delicious breakfast burritos.
- Mild Italian sausage - If your sausage has casings, you'll want to remove those. This goes for if you're using pork, chicken, turkey Italian sausage, or any other raw breakfast sausage. Try spicy sausage for an extra kick.
- Chorizo sausage - You'll want the casings removed for the chorizo as well.
- Vegetable oil - Use any high smoke point oil like canola oil or avocado oil.
- Yellow onion - Thinly sliced yellow onion. Use white onion, Vidalia onion, or scallions.
- Garlic cloves - Minced raw or jarred garlic works great. In a pinch, use garlic powder to still enjoy the garlicky flavor.
- Bell Peppers - Thinly sliced peppers. Use red bell pepper, green peppers, or any other colored bell peppers for a nice color contrast.
- Ground cumin - Garam Masala is a great cumin alternative.
- Salt and pepper
- Eggs - If you're using liquid egg beaters or other liquid eggs, you'll want 1 cup for this recipe to replace 8 eggs. Use only egg whites if that's what you typically use.
- Flour tortillas - You'll want the burrito-sized tortillas, these are usually the largest ones you can find. You can also swap out flour tortillas for spinach or sun-dried tomato wraps. I would avoid using corn tortillas, as they won't hold up as well through the whole process as a flour tortilla will.
- Mexican cheese blend - Make your own Mexican cheese blend by shredding Colby, sharp cheddar cheese, and Monterey jack cheese.
- Freshly chopped cilantro - Swap out cilantro for chopped parsley or green onions.
- Avocados - Thinly sliced is ideal for avocados. This will allow them to easily layer inside the burrito.
- Jalapeno pepper - For more heat, don't deseed completely.
- Limes - Freshly squeezed lime juice to brighten and balance flavors.
- Salsa or salsa verde - Use either of these for dipping. You can use any of your favorite kinds. A fresh pico de gallo would be delicious as well.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Go Meatless: Swap out the meat for other protein-packed ingredients like black beans, pinto beans, tofu, tempeh, plant-based sausage, or even chickpeas.
- Extra Veggies: Add spinach to your egg mixture for some added greens and nutrition.
- Add Potatoes: Fill your breakfast burritos with potatoes. Use cooked shredded hash browns, diced potatoes, or sweet potatoes. I would avoid adding frozen hash browns due to the increase in moisture.
- Large frying pan
- Mixing bowl
🔪 How to Cook Chorizo Breakfast Burritos
Fry up your favorite breakfast meats, eggs, and fresh vegetables, and fill your tortilla shell. Add shredded cheese then wrap up, then fry your breakfast burrito until golden brown.
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil. Fry the sausages until they are no longer pink, breaking them into smaller pieces. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausages onto a plate and set aside.
In the same frying pan, using the drippings from the sausages, fry the onion over medium heat until it becomes translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and fry until it becomes fragrant (about 1 minute).
Add the red and orange peppers, along with 2 tbsps of water, to the frying pan. Fry them on low heat until the peppers soften (around 15 minutes). Season the peppers with cumin, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Remove the peppers from the frying pan and set them aside on a plate. Clean the frying pan for later use.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and add the remaining salt and pepper. Add oil to the frying pan and pour the whisked eggs into the hot pan.
Cook the eggs on low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula. Cook them until they are slightly cooked but still slightly runny and soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Take a flour tortilla and place it on a large work surface. In the center of the tortilla, add 2-3 slices of avocado, 2 tbsps of cooked sausage, 2 tbsps of the onion/pepper mixture, 1 teaspoon of chopped cilantro, 2 tbsps of Mexican cheese, and top it with 2 tbsps of scrambled eggs. If desired, add 3-4 slices of jalapenos and squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top.
To shape the burrito, fold the sides of the tortilla towards the center, then fold up the bottom edge to meet the center, ensuring that any ingredients that fall out are pushed in. Finally, roll the tortilla closed. Keep the seam side down until ready to fry. Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas.
Lightly grease a large frying pan with the remaining ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil and set it to low heat. Heat tortillas 4 at a time in the pan, with the seam side down. Fry them until they are lightly browned on all sides, turning as needed.
Remove the fried burritos from the pan and let them cool to room temperature before storing them for freezing.
💡 Recipe Tips
- For more spice, drip your breakfast burritos into your favorite hot sauce.
- Don't limit yourself to the ingredients listed above, be creative and frugal by using what you have on hand.
- Lightly oil your pan when frying the wrapped burritos. Wipe any excess oil out to avoid greasy burritos.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
- Storing: For any breakfast burritos that are not frozen, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezing: To freeze breakfast burritos, wrap each burrito in parchment paper and put them in a resealable freezer bag or airtight container, in a single layer. Frozen burritos keep for up to 3 months.
- Reheating instructions: To reheat, remove the wrapper, put the breakfast burrito on a plate in the microwave, and heat on high for 2 minutes. Add 30-second intervals if needed. For thawed breakfast burritos, 45 seconds should be enough to reheat.
Firstly, you can serve your warm breakfast burritos with your favorite salsa, guacamole, or sour cream for dipping. Enjoy a cup of fresh fruit like melon, berries, or an apple. And of course, breakfast burritos pair well with hash browns from the air fryer.
Any great melting cheese would work perfectly, but it truly is up to your personal preference. Choose a softer cheese like crumbled feta, cream cheese, goat cheese, or a Boursin type cheese. For softer cheeses, it's best to spread those onto your tortilla before adding avocado.
Of course! This breakfast burrito recipe is perfect for freezing. I recommend making extra so you have a quick breakfast ready for busy mornings. To freeze them, wrap each breakfast burrito in parchment paper and put them in a resealable freezer bag or airtight container, in a single layer. When you want to eat one, remove the wrapper, put the burrito on a plate in the microwave, and heat on high for 2 minutes. Add 30-second intervals if needed. If you've already thawed the freezer breakfast burritos, 45 seconds should be enough to reheat.
With so many options, you could mix and match so many. In addition to Italian sausage and chorizo, you can use any combination of regular or turkey bacon, ground turkey or beef, diced ham, or thinly sliced beef.
😋 More Meal Prep Breakfast Recipes
Don't stress about breakfast with any of these make-ahead healthy breakfast options and freezer measl that would be wonderful with our breakfast burritos.
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole (Easy Recipe!)
- Healthy Baked Oatmeal with Berries
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds~ 3 Ways
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️