Chicken fajita meal prep bowls are a delicious and flavorful meal for lunch or dinner. This recipe is ideal for busy individuals who want to enjoy a healthy meal without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Perfectly seasoned fresh vegetables and fajita chicken will be a Whole Lotta Yum!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Meal Prep Chicken Fajitas
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a meal that gets made multiple times in a month at our house. It's so easy, and everyone gets to use their own favorite toppings. Sometimes we will serve them in warm corn tortillas, on top of lettuce, or rice.
If you're making these for your lunches for the week, switch up the toppings to make each one a bit different so you don't get bored. Make this recipe with chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, or steak for a twist on the protein. While this recipe isn't overly spicy, you can also add red pepper flakes to taste for some more heat.
If you're loving our healthy chicken fajitas, try our Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas, Sheet Pan Veggies, or our Chicken Burrito Bowl. I also love to add Pickled Red Onions on the side of all of those dishes.
Why You'll Love This!
- Great for meal prep- when you're short on time during the week, make our sheet pan chicken fajitas for your weekly lunches.
- Super yummy- simple to adapt by adding herbs, spices, and other veggies.
- Quick and easy! Sheet pan dinners will also win over a stove top full of pans any day.
- Healthy - 30g of protein, gluten-free, keto-friendly, and low carb.
🥘 Fajita Bowl Meal Prep Ingredients
You'll want a variety of fresh and colorful vegetables, lean protein, and fresh herbs.
- Extra virgin olive oil - Avocado oil is a great option as well.
- Garlic cloves - Fresh garlic or minced garlic is great. Use garlic powder if you don't have access to fresh.
- Fajita seasoning mix - Keep it simple by using a fajita seasoning packet. If you've prepared our homemade taco seasoning and have some leftover, you can use that in a pinch.
- Chicken thighs - Skinless chicken breasts, boneless chicken thighs, or even thin strips of steak.
- Bell peppers - We love a variety of red pepper, orange bell peppers, yellow, and green bell pepper. You can prep sliced bell peppers ahead of time if necessary.
- Red onion - Red onion is great for fresh salads and meal prepping. Fresh red onions are great but so are pickled red onions.
- Chopped fresh cilantro & Green onions - Bright and crunchy toppings that really bring the fajitas together.
- Additional garnishes- fresh lime juice, avocado or guacamole, fresh salsa, a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, brown rice, or quinoa; serving fajitas on a bed of lettuce or in small tortillas is great too.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Steak: Prepare your fajitas with sliced flank steak to switch it up.
- Beans: I love adding black beans to fajitas and meal prep bowls.
- Salsas: A fresh pico de gallo or a roasted corn salsa will complement fajitas nicely.
- Spice: Fajita seasoning does have a bit of spice to it. In addition to our recommended herbs and spices, feel free to add any of your favorites. Some optional spices are red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, or chili powder.
🔪 How to Cook Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Prepare fresh peppers, onions, and boneless skinless chicken thighs. Toss to seasoning and bake on a large sheet pan. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Preheat oven to 450 F.
In a large bowl combine the sliced chicken breast, strips, and bell peppers.
Toss with olive oil, garlic cloves, and fajita seasoning mix. Blend to make sure everything is well coated.
Bake the fajitas on a rimmed sheet pan for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are beginning to soften, stir 1-2 times during baking.
Serve the sheet pan chicken fajitas in a bowl with lettuce, cilantro, and green onions. Squeeze with lime juice and serve with sliced avocado or guacamole.
Making Meal Prep Bowls
To assemble meal prep bowls, divide the chicken and vegetable fajita mix into 4 meal prep containers. Also add a portion of cauliflower rice, brown rice, and quinoa. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions, and serve with chunky salsa, avocado slices or guacamole, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
The meal prep bowls will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Slice the avocado the day you use it or buy the mini guacamole cups to serve with your fajita bowls.
🥗 Dietary Substitutions
As written our healthy chicken fajitas are keto, dairy free, and whole30 friendly.
- Gluten-free: Be sure to read the label on the fajita seasoning packet. Or you can make your own seasoning mix to be sure it's gluten-free.
💡 Recipe Tips
- You can also prepare chicken fajitas on the stove top in a cast iron skillet.
- Flipping the fajita ingredients is not necessary for even cooking, but we did find that the result was better when we flipped a few times during baking.
- Broil for a couple of minutes at the end to get some nice browning and caramelization on the chicken and peppers.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
- Storing: Store cooled chicken fajitas in your meal prep containers or any other airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing: Freeze fajita seasoned chicken in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months. I wouldn't recommend freezing cooked peppers, their texture will be mushy once thawed.
- Reheating: Simply reheat your fajitas in the microwave until heated through.
Our recipe has roughly 380 calories per serving. This is provided that you've added all optional toppings and garnishes we've recommended.
Yes! Packed with protein, lean meat and vegetables chicken fajitas are a great option for a weight-loss meal. Follow the serving size and suggestions for best results.
Leftover chicken fajitas can be used in a fajita soup, a filling for enchiladas or quesadillas, or you can prepare creamy pasta with leftover chicken and peppers.
You can absolutely use taco seasoning for chicken fajitas. However, taco seasoning has more chili powder and oregano than fajita seasoning. You can add more ground cumin into your taco or chicken seasoning to help mimic the fajita seasoning you're used to.
😋 More Meal Prep Recipes
Find more chicken recipes that are perfect for your weekly meal prep.
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenderloins (No Breading)
- Chicken Burrito Bowl Meal Prep
- 50 Easy Lunch Meal Prep for the Week
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️