An easy homemade Chili powder substitute when you don't have enough in your spice cupboard and don't have time to run to the grocery store! Our sugar-free salt-free chili powder replacement is one you'll use time and time again for a variety of recipes like chili and as a base for other homemade seasonings. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Replacement for Chili Powder
When we are in the mood for a hearty bowl of chili, the last thing I want to do is reach into the spice cabinet and find that we are out or low. Thankfully, I have the best replacement for chili powder that is easy to whip up, salt-free, sugar-free, and completely delicious.
Why You'll Love This!
- Ready in just a few minutes, our chili powder substitute is the perfect replacement for your favorite canned spice mixture.
- With a blend of paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, dried oregano, and cumin, this replacement for chili powder has just what you need (and everything you don't!).
- Customize your homemade chili powder by increasing or decreasing any of the six herbs and spices we use to make the perfect mix for your tastes.
- Add delicious flavor to a variety of beef, pork, and chicken dishes quickly when you sprinkle on this chili powder seasoning blend.
A chili powder substitute for recipes when you run out of chili powder. The recipe contains no salt. We love the Trader Joe's chili powder, we had a tiny bit left and this is a very close substitute!
- paprika, sweet (not smoked)
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- dried oregano
- ground cumin
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
Step by Step Instructions
Add the sweet paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, and dried cumin to a small bowl. Stir to combine the spice mix.
Store the seasoning in an airtight container like a small mason jar for up to 6 months.
The homemade chili powder recipe can be used as a replacement for any recipe calling for chili powder, whether it be chili, tacos, or it can be used to make other homemade seasonings! Enjoy!
- Be sure to use sweet paprika (sometimes just simply called paprika), and not smoked paprika. While the smoked variety is tasty, it'll totally change the taste of the seasoning.
- Most recipes will call for just 1-2 tablespoons of chili powder, our recipe will make much more than that.
- It's easy to double or triple the recipe since it keeps for such a long time.
- We suggest getting the chili powder ingredients from the bulk foods section to save as much money as possible on spices, the jars are very costly. 12
To make a delicious pot of chili with chili powder brown ground beef in a large pot and drain. In the same pot, sautee onions and bell peppers, and then add in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. To the mixture, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, black pepper, and sea salt as well as the ground beef. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Store your chili powder in an airtight container like a mason jar. It will keep its flavor for 6+ months.
Chili powder is made of paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, dried oregano, and cumin. You can increase or decrease the amount of each individual spice to accommodate your own preferences.
More Seasoning Recipes
- Homemade blackened seasoning recipe
- Air fryer chicken wings dry rub
- Smoked turkey seasoning rub
- Taco seasoning recipe (without sugar)