Our keto pot roast is juicy, tender, and a great option for a weeknight dinner. Make this in your slow cooker and free up your time for other fun things!
Keep those leftovers for lunches throughout the week. And don't forget to top your plate with a savory beef gravy that really makes this dish a Whole Lotta Yum!
Low Carb Pot Roast
A delicious and easy keto pot roast like this is great all year round. Customize it to the vegetables that are in season. A pot roast is a great meal to prepare when it's chilly out and you crave something warm and comforting, especially keto slow cooker recipes. Pot roast is one of those recipes that every family makes a version of. One that reminds me of my childhood for sure!
A shredded beef roast like this is also great for meal prepping. Easy and low effort but yielding lots of fork-tender pot roast that can be eaten throughout the week.
Even though our best keto pot roast recipe is low-carb and keto-forward, it can absolutely be served with pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, and an assortment of vegetables. It can be rare that a whole family follows the same diet, so adapting is perfectly fine.
I love to make this recipe served over our creamy cauliflower mashed potatoes with extra veggies like our Sheet Pan Roasted Veggies or Fall Roasted Vegetables.
Why You'll Love This!
- Great for meal prep- when you're short on time during the week this pot roast will go a long way.
- Super yummy- Simple to adapt by adding herbs, spices, and other low-carb vegetables.
- Quick and easy to prep! Can be as quick as 'dump and go'.
- Healthy - A delicious meal option that is low carb, keto-friendly, dairy and gluten free!
🥘 Keto Chuck Roast Ingredients
Perfectly marbled beef chuck roast, with bold flavors from the garlic and balsamic vinegar and fresh onions and mushrooms.
- Boneless chuck roast - A boneless chuck roast is the most popular cut, it's a tough yet flavorful cut of beef that gets super tender and flavorful when cooked slowly. It also has a higher fat content than other roasts, which ups the flavor. Other options would also be beef brisket, sirloin, rump roast, or shoulder roast but all of those have less fat than a chuck roast.
- Fine sea salt & Ground pepper
- Canola or avocado oil - Used for searing the roast before adding it to the crock pot. Olive oil is another great option.
- Balsamic vinegar - Try a slightly sweet twist on regular store-bought balsamic vinegar and try our Honey Balsamic Dressing.
- Beef broth - Canned beef broth or boxed will do. Beef stock concentrates like 'better than bullion' makes such a flavorful broth with so much depth.
- Onion - Yellow onions are the best for meat dishes like our pot roast. They also cook very well in a slow cooker. A bag of pearl onions would be great too with little to no prepping involved.
- Minced garlic - Fresh or minced in the jar will both work fine.
- Cremini (baby bella) mushrooms - To make light work of preparing your mushrooms, you can typically find prepackaged sliced mushrooms that have already been washed.
- Garnish - Chopped fresh parsley
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Add herbs: add a bundle of fresh herbs like fresh rosemary and thyme to your pot roasts.
- Without veggies: it's fine to leave out the vegetables if you prefer. Instead of adding them to the slow cooker, saute them on the stovetop before serving.
- Cooking: use your instant pot or electric pressure cooker to cook pot roast if you don't have a slow cooker. Times will vary depending on the appliance you own.
- Crockpot or Dutch oven
- Skillet, for searing the roast.
🔪 How to Cook Keto Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Sear your pot roast to create some delicious browned bits to deglaze. Pop it in the crock pot with your veggies and cool low and slow for a tender roast.
Sprinkle both sides of the pot roast with salt and black pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Sear the pot roast on the top and bottom.
Remove the pot roast and add it to the slow cooker. Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan the roast was seared in, and turn the burner down to medium-low.
Scrape up and browned bits on the bottom of the pan and simmer the vinegar for 1 minute. Pour this over the top of the pot roast in the slow cooker.
Add the beef broth, sliced onions, minced garlic, and halved mushrooms to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook the pot roast on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours until fork tender.
Add the zucchini slices to the slow cooker and simmer until soft, which will take about 30 minutes. Carefully remove the pot roast and add it to a platter.
Remove any large fat pieces and break the pot roast into bite-sized chunks.
Serve over our cheesy mashed cauliflower and drizzle a little of the pan drippings over the top. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
💡 Recipe Tips
- If you're in a hurry, the searing step can be skipped. Just add everything to the slow cooker and proceed with the recipe.
- Likewise, if you have extra time, we recommend you saute the minced garlic and onion before adding them to the pot to bring out extra flavor.
- To make a yummy gravy from the pot roast juices, after removing the roast, strain the pan drippings. Whisk in ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until it starts to thicken, and drizzle over the top of the pot roast.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
- Storing: You can store any leftover slow cooker pot roast and veggies you have in an airtight container the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Store leftover pot roast in a freezer safe container or bag in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Reheating: Reheat in a skillet on the stove, or in the microwave.
Prepare delicious keto side dishes that will complement your pot roast. Our Keto Mashed Cauliflower, a crispy Keto Broccoli Salad, a Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole with Bacon or any of these yummy Keto Side Dishes.
Of course! The roast itself is just meat which is keto. Traditional pot roast recipes will usually contain potatoes or other high carb ingredients, which are not keto friendly.
You cannot cook frozen pot roast in a Crock Pot, slow cooker cooking temperatures aren't high enough (on either high or low) to properly kill the bacteria. If you want to cook a roast from frozen, it should be on the stovetop, in an oven, or in a pressure cooker.
A few low carb swaps for potatoes can be diakon radish and red radishes, baby carrots, and cauliflower, or turnips and rutabagas.
😋 More Crockpot Keto Recipes
Make dinner quick & keto with any of our new recipes that feature our favorite kitchen appliance!
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️