Enjoy this quick and easy pepper steak stir fry, this one skillet dish can be on your table in less than 30 minutes. It's bursting with flavors from garlic, sesame oil, and a savory sauce. It's great for a quick weeknight meal the whole family will that and that is a Whole Lotta Yum!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Steak and Pepper Stir Fry
We all crave a good stir fry every now and then. This homemade version of chinese takeout is a delicious meal that's definitely a keeper! This quick and easy meal uses fresh ingredients all cooked in the same skillet. Tender meat surrounded by bold flavors and colorful vegetables, it's absolutely delicious.
This pepper steak stir fry recipe is easy to make, taking just a few minutes, making it perfect for busy schedules. You can even prepare the ingredients in advance for meal prepping. Leftovers also make for tasty lunches.
Why You'll Love This!
- Great for meal prep- Place in Tupperware containers and reheat as necessary for a quick and easy dinner or lunch solution.
- Super yummy- Melt-in-your-mouth steak combined with delicious Asian flavors is a great way to mix up your dinner routine.
- Quick and easy! Fry pepper steak and crunchy veggies in the same pan! Makes for easy clean up too.
- Healthy - This fun high-protein meal also has a group of great-tasting veggies that are sure to please even the pickiest eater.
🥘 Beef and Pepper Stir Fry Ingredients
These easy and simple ingredients are easy to find and even easier to use.
- Flank or Sirloin tip steak - For ease, you can purchase thin strips of beef already prepared for stir frying. Fast fry steaks are an inexpensive alternative and are available at most grocery stores.
- Red and green cabbage - Prepare your cabbage by cleaning and thinly slicing it. Alternatively, you can buy prepackaged coleslaw.
- Matchstick carrots - Matchstick carrots come prepackaged, but you can prepare your own shredded carrots if needed.
- Red or orange bell peppers - Any color bell peppers will work, using multiple colors will really make the dish stand out. Green bell peppers are among the cheapest and can be used if that's all you have.
- Cloves garlic - Jarred or minced garlic works best. If you don't have access to those, adding garlic powder to your spice mix will still impart that tasty garlic flavor.
- Sesame oil - Adds such a wonderful toasted sesame flavor, don't skip this.
- Soy sauce - Use tamari or coconut aminos if you're planning on making this recipe gluten-free. Use low-sodium soy sauce, if you're watching your salt intake.
- Beef stock - Liquid beef stock from a can or box is great. A beef stock concentrate like Better Than Bouillon has a lot of wonderful beef flavor as well.
- Corn starch - Arrowroot powder can be used as a thickener as well.
- Salt & Ground black pepper
- Green onions - For that subtle onion flavor, you can use chives as well.
- Garnish: Toasted sesame seeds
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Over Rice: Serve pepper steak stir fry over white rice, wild steamed rice, cauliflower rice, or rice noodles.
- Optional Ingredients: In addition to the delicious stir-fry ingredients, you can add onions, ground ginger paste, baby corn, or other varieties of sliced peppers.
- Protein Options: Instead of using flank steak or sirloin steak, you can try other types of beef such as ribeye, tenderloin, or even ground beef. Alternatively, you can use chicken, pork, shrimp, or tofu as your protein source.
- Large, deep skillet or wok
- Large spatula
🔪 How to Cook Pepper Steak Stir Fry
Stir fry it all in the same pan! Saute garlic, beef strips, and vegetables. Add a Chinese pepper steak sauce then top with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
In a large skillet, heat half of the sesame oil on medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute until it softens slightly about 2 minutes.
Add the flank steak and continue sauteing until the steak is browned about 5 minutes. Remove the flank steak to a plate and set aside for now.
Add the cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers to the skillet. Fry for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients of beef stock and cornstarch. Add the soy sauce, and beef stock mixture. Continue frying for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the black pepper and salt then stir well. Add the pepper steak back into the pan and continue frying, stirring continuously until the stock thickens about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the green onions.
Top with sesame seeds and serve with rice or vermicelli noodles.
🥗 Dietary Substitutions
As written our pepper steak stir fry recipe is dairy free.
- Keto: Skip the carrots for a low-carb veggie like zucchini or green onions, you can also increase the cabbage and bell peppers if you'd prefer. Use a soy sauce substitute and arrowroot powder to thicken instead of cornstarch.
- Gluten-free: Use tamari or coconut aminos in place of soy sauce to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Whole30: Use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce to make this recipe whole30 compliant. Swap out store-bought beef stock for homemade beef broth or water. In place of cornstarch use arrowroot powder as a thickener.
💡 Recipe Tips
- To make this recipe even easier, replace the cabbage and carrots with a store-bought bag of coleslaw mix.
- Fast fry steaks are an inexpensive alternative and are available at most grocery stores.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
- Storing: Store leftover pepper steak stir fry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The vegetables will still keep their crunch over this time.
- Freezing: This stir fry recipe is great prepped ahead, before cooking, and frozen in a freezer-safe container or resealable bag. Keep this in your freezer for up to 2 months before cooking. You can also freeze cooled leftovers in the same way.
- Reheating: Reheat chilled leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Steak stir fry can be served with a large variety of dishes, or on it's own. Serve over a whole sweet potato, cauliflower rice, or riced broccoli. Sheet pan roasted vegetables are a favorite of mine. Serve with a warm bowl of egg drop soup or these air fried egg rolls.
Flank steak is one of the most popular options for pepper steak stir fry because of how affordable it is, and how quickly it can cook. Skirt steak is another great option when looking at affordability and taste. Splurge a little and opt for top sirloin steak, a higher quality cut compared to flank steak or round steak.
It's important to make sure you're slicing the steak against the grain, this will cut down on the toughness and chewiness of your steak. Another reason your steak is tough is that it was cooked too long and a lot of the moisture has been cooked out. Adding an acid, like soy sauce, will help to tenderize the cooked or raw steak.
😋 More Stir Fry Style Recipes
You'll love any of these easy stir fry style recipes. Quick to whip up, and loaded with flavor!
- Crispy Air Fryer Orange Chicken Recipe
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Low Carb Fried Rice with Cauliflower
- Asian BBQ Instant Pot Beef Ribs
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️