Beef stroganoff is hands down one of our family favorite dinners, what’s so amazing about this version is that it’s SUCH an easy beef stroganoff recipe and it only takes 20 minutes to make!
If you’re looking for quick hot dinners, then you’ll love this easy beef stroganoff recipe that’s also a low carb, dairy free, gluten free, paleo and keto beef stroganoff too. Only 7 net carbs per serving!
What’s the secret to such a speedy stroganoff dinner?
It cooks in only 20 minutes on the stove top using super thinly sliced shaved beef or stir fry beef that’s already thinly sliced for you! This could also be beef stroganoff with skirt steak or this would make the best ground beef stroganoff recipe if you substitute ground beef.
This easy low carb, paleo and keto beef stroganoff recipe is something we make time and time again that the kids devour too. If you’re looking for cold weather recipe ideas, you truly can’t beat this easy recipe that’s perfect when you prefer to eat whole foods and want easy winter comfort food.
We highly recommend you double this recipe, otherwise it’ll get gobbled up and you’ll have no left overs!
Keto Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients you need:
- 1 T coconut oil, canola or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 lb+ sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 lb shaved beef or stir fry meat (ground beef adaption listed below)
- 3/4 c canned coconut milk (this is NOT coconut beverage, but unsweetened coconut milk).
- Garnish- cilantro (optional)
Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe Steps
Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the coconut oil (or you can use canola, olive oil or ghee) and let melt.
Saute 1 thinly sliced onion for 5 minutes. They won’t be all the way cooked but will finish cooking with the beef and mushroom mixture later on. Sometimes we’ll use red onions and other times it’d be a sweet onion. I love to cook with sweet onions since they don’t bother my eyes as much as regular white onions do.
Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook about 3-5 mins, until the mushrooms are starting to soften.
Stir in the salt, pepper and dijon mustard until evenly distributed.
Turn up the heat to medium high and add the shaved beef to the same pan as the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
NOTE: If you’re substituting ground beef for the shaved beef/stir fry meat and making ground beef stroganoff, you’ll want to cook the ground beef in a separate pan before this step. Drain the grease and then add it to this easy beef stroganoff recipe at this point.
Turn down the heat to medium low and add 1 c coconut milk to the beef and vegetable mixture. Regular canned unsweetened coconut milk works best, you can substitute the light coconut milk but the sauce might less thick.
I always use the hard coconut cream at the top of the can of coconut milk. If there’s less than 1 cup of the cream in the can then just add the coconut milk liquid to the hardened cream.
Simmer 2-3 more minutes until all of the ingredients are heated through.
The coconut milk mixed with the beef juice and liquid from the broken down mushrooms is what makes this paleo beef stroganoff gravy so delicious!
Serve the easy beef stroganoff immediately and enjoy!
We served this low carb and paleo beef stroganoff with cauliflower rice, but it could also get served with regular rice, egg noodles, rice noodles or gnocchi, depending on your dietary preferences.
If you’re wanting an easy beef stroganoff recipe, you’ll absolutely fall in love with this quick hot dinner.
Whether you just want healthy winter dinner ideas for cozy nights in or are looking for a keto beef stroganoff, gluten free, dairy free or a paleo beef stroganoff, you’ll ABSOLUTELY love this 20 minute recipe!
Other Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- 1 1 lb shaved beef or stir fry beef
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms (button or crimini)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 c canned coconut milk
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan on the stovetop on medium heat
- Saute the onions for 5 minutes in the coconut oil
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook 3-5 minutes until they start to soften
- Stir in the salt, pepper and dijon mustard
- Turn up the heat to medium high and add the shaved beef to the same pan as the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes until the meat is cooked through. If you're using stir fry beef it could take a little longer than 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and add the coconut milk to the beef and vegetable mixture.
- Simmer 5 additional mnutes until all of the ingredients are heated through.
- Serve the easy beef stroganoff immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 590 Total Fat 42g Saturated Fat 22g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 122mg Sodium 682mg Carbohydrates 10g Fiber 3g Sugar 5g Protein 42g