Get perfect mashed potatoes every time with our Instant Pot diced potatoes recipe! We are steaming your favorite potatoes including Russet, Yukon Gold, and red potatoes in the pressure cooker before adding in butter, cream, and seasonings to make the best velvety mashed potatoes. Or, opt to serve you Instant Pot cubed potatoes without mashing for a WHOLE LOTTA YUM dinner side that is ready in under 30-minutes.
Instant Pot Cubed Potatoes
Making Instant Pot cubed potatoes is the first step in all of our pressure cooker mashed potatoes recipes because we know that this tried and true method for boiled potatoes will yield perfect results each and every time. And, if our end goal is NOT to mash, we know we can simply reduce the cook-time and make something completely different.
Velvety and smooth, mashed potatoes are a delicious side for just about any dinner, but traditional methods can often leave room for error as the results of boiling cubed potatoes are not always consistent. Luckily, Instant Pot cubed potatoes come out perfect every time so we can add in butter and milk to create perfectly mashed potatoes each and every time including Instant Pot mashed potatoes and Instant Pot colcannon.
Or, if you prefer, slightly reduce the cooking time of your Instant Pot cubed potatoes and change things up by serving boiled potatoes or a side of loaded baked potatoes when you include all of the traditional toppings.
Why You'll Love This!
- With our Instant Pot diced potatoes recipe, you will have perfectly cooked, velvety cubes of cooked potato that are ready to make a variety of potato side dishes.
- Quick and easy, our cubed potatoes are ready in under 30-mintues, making this a side dish that is easy for even the busiest of weeknights.
- As-is, pressure cooker diced potatoes are a great way to stick to you vegan, gluten-free, Whole30, and paleo lifestyles. Be sure to check for compliance before adding in additional items.
- The whole recipe needs just 2 ingredients!
To make the best Instant Pot cubed potatoes you need just two ingredients - cubed potatoes and water.
- Russet potatoes - washed, peeled, and cubed into 1 ½" chunks.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Yukon Gold or red potatoes can also be used instead of Russet potatoes.
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used, we also have a Ninja Foodi pressure cooker & air fryer combo.
Step by Step Instructions
Making your Instant Pot cubed potatoes is such a simple recipe, you are going to wonder why you ever bothered with that cumbersome pot of boiling water. We are going to start with cubed potatoes, add them to the pressure cooker and let it work its magic, then follow up with a quick release to reveal perfectly boiled potato cubes that are ready for your dinner or other recipes that call for boiled potato cubes.
Prep the Russet potatoes by washing, peeling, and cubing them into 1 ½" pieces.
Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pressure cooker and insert a vegetable steamer. Place the diced potato cubes into the Instant Pot and close the lid.
Pressure cook the potatoes for 5 minutes on high, the pot will take about 10+ minutes to come to pressure beforehand.
After the pressure cooking has finished, do a Quick Release of the pressure.
Remove the potatoes from the Instant Pot.
The Instant Pot diced potatoes will be very soft and ready to use for another recipe like mashed potatoes!
- You can use the rack that came with your pressure cooker if you don't have the steamer basket, you just want to make sure to keep the potatoes out of the water so they don't get soggy during cooking.
- The recipe as written is intended to make potato cubes soft enough to get pureed into a dish like mashed potatoes. If you're wanting to serve these as a steamed and cubed side dish, just cook them on High for 4 minutes until cooked through and they will still hold their shape.
- For best results, be sure to cut your potato cubes as uniform as possible.
- You can cook up to 5 lb of potatoes at a time with this method, you'll still just need to use 1 cup of water.
- Mashed potatoes are so easy to make with these instant pot cubed potatoes! Just mash the pot potatoes in a bowl with a fork, add 4 oz butter and combine until the butter is melted, add ⅔ whole milk or half & half; season to taste with salt and pepper.
It depends on your end goal. If you are planning on turning your instant pot boiled potatoes into mashed potatoes you don't need to add salt to the water. But, if you will be serving potatoes as a cubed side dish then, yes, you should add a little salt to the water.
To dice potato cubes start with medium-sized russet potatoes and cut them lengthwise into 4 sections and then cut each of the sections into 1 ½ chunks.
Yes, you can buy either canned or frozen diced potatoes to make Instant Pot cubed potatoes, but we do not recommend that you purchase fresh potatoes already cut since they brown easily once they are cut.
More Instant Pot Potato Recipes
Looking for more potato recipes?
- Instant Pot sweet potatoes (cubed)
- Sweet potato casserole Instant Pot recipe
- Instant pot loaded potato soup
- Mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot calcannon with bacon
- Pressure cooker scalloped potatoes
- Instant Pot steamed potatoes
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply