This BBQ chicken sweet potato bowl is made with delicious barbeque pulled chicken breast, roasted sweet potatoes, and tangy homemade coleslaw. We used an air fryer to quickly cook the chicken and sweet potatoes but we share other methods too!
Our chicken bowl with sweet potatoes is a healthy complete dinner that is bursting with delicious flavor. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
A Chicken Sweet Potato Recipe
Warmer weather calls for quick and simple meals and there really isn't much easier for a complete dinner than this BBQ chicken sweet potato recipe. Using either the air fryer or the oven, the sweet potato cubes and chicken get roasted. Meanwhile, it takes no time to make the coleslaw and prepare a few extras like pickles or avocados. Getting my daughter in the kitchen to help is always an added bonus when we make this BBQ chicken sweet potato bowl!
With meat, a starchy vegetable, and fresh coleslaw our BBQ chicken bowl with sweet potatoes makes a simple, complete dinner that is perfect for busy weeknights or lunch meal prep. We like to serve our chicken and sweet potato recipe with sides like avocado cubes, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, and pickle slices. You'll feel like you're at a barbecue but done healthier!
Our BBQ chicken sweet potato bowl is a simple combination of some of our most popular healthy recipes! We start with air fryer sweet potato cubes, then add in some air fryer BBQ chicken tenders, and top it all with our healthy coleslaw.
And for a little something different, swap out the BBQ chicken tenders with our blackened chicken tenders or our pan fried chicken tenders. Regardless, if you're looking for chicken and sweet potato recipes, this will be a hit for sure!
Why You'll Love This!
- These BBQ chicken sweet potato bowls are a delicious combination of sweet barbeque chicken, savory sweet potatoes, and tangy coleslaw that perfectly blend the flavors and texture of summer dinners.
- Add in optional toppings such as avocado, pumpkin seed, pickles, or cilantro to customize your chicken sweet potato recipe.
- Chicken and sweet potato recipes are a perfect combo! Pulled chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, and a quick and easy homemade slaw make for a preservative-free, healthy dinner.
- Utilize precooked chicken and sweet potato cubes to make this a quick and simple no-cook dinner option.
Ingredients for Our Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe
Who knew that fresh sweet potatoes, delicious chicken tenders, and crunchy cabbage could combine with some seasonings and sauces to become a BBQ chicken bowl with sweet potatoes that everyone will love?
- chicken tenders
- olive oil
- chicken rub
- BBQ sauce
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- coleslaw mix
- fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- sweetener (monk fruit, erythritol, coconut sugar, or sugar)
- optional garnishes- pickles, cilantro, avocado, pumpkin seeds
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Swap chicken tenders for precooked chicken, shredded chicken, or rotisserie chicken.
- White or red potatoes, as well as baby potatoes, can all be used in place of sweet potatoes.
- Keto- Swap sweet potatoes for butternut squash or use broccoli. Be sure to use sugar free BBQ sauce like Primal Kitchen.
How to Make a BBQ Chicken Bowl
Start the sweet potatoes first, followed by the barbeque chicken tenders. While those are cooking, whip up your homemade coleslaw. Once all three items are done, assemble your bowls and serve!
In a medium size bowl combine the sweet potato cubes, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook the sweet potatoes by air frying them or baking them.
To air fry: preheat an air fryer to 380 F for 5 minutes. Air fry the sweet potatoes for a total of 15 minutes until they’re easily pierced with a fork. Flip halfway through cooking.
To bake: preheat the oven to 400F. Place on a baking sheet, and cook for 25-30 minutes until easy to pierce with a fork, making sure to flip the sweet potato cubes halfway through cooking.
Start on the chicken while the sweet potatoes are cooking. They can be air fried or pan fried.
To air fry: Preheat an air fryer to 400 F for 5 mins. Brush both sides with olive oil and then liberally add chicken rub to both sides. Air fry for 4 minutes, brush on BBQ sauce, and then continue air frying for 3-4 minutes until cooked through to 165 F.
To bake: preheat the oven to 400 F. Brush both sides of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle both sides with chicken rub. Bake on a baking sheet for 10+ minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
While the chicken is cooking start on the coleslaw.
In a small size bowl combine all of the dressing ingredients. Add the coleslaw shredded cabbage mix to a medium size bowl and stir in the dressing.
Assemble the bowls by dividing the coleslaw, sweet potatoes, and chicken tenders between 4 bowls. You can either serve 2 whole chicken tenders per bowl or cut them into slices.
Garnish with healthy toppings like avocado cubes, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, and pickle slices. Enjoy!
BBQ Bowl Recipe Tips
- Use our homemade chicken rub for the best BBQ chicken tenders.
- If you cannot find a rub you like feel free to utilize your favorite chicken herbs and spices.
- Keep an eye on your sweet potatoes as they will cook quickly during the last few minutes of cooking.
- We do recommend preheating your air fryer prior to cooking in it. If you opt to not preheat your unit, you may need to increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
- Make your BBQ chicken sweet potato bowls a quick, no-cook dinner option by meal prepping earlier in the week.
FAQ's about BBQ Bowls
Barbeque chicken bowls with sweet potato and coleslaw are a complete meal, perfect for lunch or dinner. We like to top ours with avocado, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, or pickles. Additionally, you can serve bread, a side salad, or a fruit salad alongside the chicken bowls.
Chicken bowls can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days, but for best results we do recommend storing the ingredients separately and combining the bowls when you are going to have them.
To turn our chicken and sweet potatoes recipe into an easy meal prep lunch for the week, we prefer to serve the chicken and potatoes cold along with the coleslaw and toppings. To keep everything from getting soggy from the coleslaw dressing, we love to use meal prep containers with dividers. Slice the avocado fresh the day of to keep it from getting brown.
More Bowls Recipes
If you liked our chicken and sweet potato recipes, then you'll want to check out these healthy meal prep bowl recipes too!