Our slow cooked kielbasa with pepper and onions is the savory and easy dinner your whole family will love! Made with Polish sausage, pepper, onions, cajun seasoning, and canned tomatoes, this crock-pot kielbasa recipe is the perfect dinner option whether you serve it like a stew, with cornbread, or over rice. Just a few minutes of prep work followed by a low and slow cook is all you need to make this WHOLE LOTTA YUM crockpot kielbasa and peppers dinner.
Crock-Pot Kielbasa and Peppers with Onions
This slow cooked kielbasa is one of our family's favorite fall and winter dinner options. Between the easy prep, the slow cook, and the amazing aroma that permeates the house all afternoon long, there is so much to love about crock-pot kielbasa with peppers and onions.
You can easily serve your slow cooked kielbasa in a bowl just like a stew, with rice or cauliflower rice if you are low carb, atop grits or pasta, or with a side of cornbread or a hearty roll. The options are pretty much endless when it comes to this crockpot kielbasa and peppers making it a super versatile meal that your whole family will love!
Why You'll Love This!
- With just 10-minutes of prep time your dinner can be in the slow cooker and your work done when you make our slow cooked kielbasa recipe.
- We are adding in fresh peppers and onions at the beginning so the flavors can marry as the vegetables cook down making your crockpot kielbasa and peppers dish one that is bursting with flavor.
- Gluten-free and low-carb, slow cooked kielbasa is a great dinner for those who are trying to follow a specific eating plan.
- Cook your crock-pot kielbasa and peppers in as little as 3 hours when you cook it on high, or drop to a low heat and allow the flavors even more time to mingle and meld.
Your favorite cut of kielbasa is about to combine with fresh peppers and onions in a seasoned tomato sauce that is both savory and spicy to make a dinner that is bold, inspired, and delighful.
- kielbasa - cut into ½" slices
- bell peppers - 1 red and 1 green, sliced
- onion - sliced
- Cajun seasoning
- garlic cloves - minced
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- fine sea salt
- dried basil
- Dried Basil - Fresh can also be used.
- Bell Peppers - We enjoy the variety of 1 red and 1 green, but feel free to use 2 of the same color, or other varieties including yellow or orange.
- Cheddar Cheese - Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese to serve your kielbasa and peppers more like a casserole.
- Other vegetables can be added to the mix or substituted including cabbage, potatoes, or broccoli.
If you're following a low carb or keto diet be sure to check the kielbasa labels since some brands have more carbs than others. Also, make sure to use tomatoes and tomato sauce that doesn't add sugar.
Step by Step Instructions
Slice and saute, add ingredients to the slow cooker, and let the Crockpot do the rest of the work while you get all of the credit for this delicious slow cooked kielbasa and peppers dinner.
Slice the onions and peppers.
Cut the kielbasa in half lengthwise and then cut the sausage again into ½" slices.
In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle a little olive oil into a pan. Sauté the kielbasa until it's starting to brown on each side.
Add all of the recipe ingredients to the crockpot which includes the kielbasa, bell peppers, onion, Cajun seasoning, garlic, undrained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, fine sea salt, and dried basil to the crockpot.
Cook the crockpot kielbasa recipe for 3 hours on High or 5+ hours on Low until the mixture is heated through and starting to bubble.
Serve over rice, cauliflower rice for low carb, grits, pasta, or with a side of cornbread.
- Sauteing the kielbasa first is not necessary, but does add a depth of flavor you cannot get with just your slowcooker. However, if you are pressed for time, you can skip it and turn the entire slow cooked kielbasa dinner into a dump and go recipe.
- For best results, don't open your slow cooker until your kielbasa and peppers are done cooking.
- You can change up the spiciness of your crock-pot kielbasa by adding extra cajun seasoning or reducing it.
- The slower cooker kielbasa recipe can be doubled for a hearty family or you can freeze ½ and have a dinner ready to go another night.
Serve your slow cooked kielbasa and peppers over rice, cauliflower rice for low carb/keto, with grits, on pasta, or with a side of cornbread or a roll.
Stored in an airtight container you can keep leftover slow cooked kielbasa for up to 4 days.
Absolutely! You can store frozen sausage and pepper for up to 3 months in the freezer in a freezer-safe container.
More Kielbasa Recipes
Looking for more kielbasa recipes?