The shamrock shot is a fun dessert shot to get your St Patrick's Day celebrating started. Think mint chocolate martini but make it mini! Whether it be the mint flavor or just a cool shot to try, this is the perfect drink to get your shamrock on!
This is a fun, stylish dessert shot great for St Patrick's Day that uses Bailey's Irish cream, it isn't an authentic Irish recipe but it's perfect for the occasion regardless. Along with the kick of energy, who knew a shot could be so vibrant and whip cream could look so good?! Easy to make in just minutes and delicious, this is a must-make for St Patrick's Day!
The shamrock shooter is fun because it's basically a cocktail in a shot version. If you're like me and love a good shot, you will appreciate this modified version of a mint chocolate martini! When you don't want a whole cocktail, the Shamrock shot is great and you still get everything you could want in a dessert drink! These are perfect for serving at a St Patty's party and a drink all of your friends will love.
Whether you're looking for the perfect party drink, something fun to sip on, or a smaller cocktail, the shamrock shooter is your drink. You don't have to have a grandiose party to make this drink, it can be just for fun as well! The best cocktails should be easy to create and delicious, and you can expect nothing less from this shamrock booze!
Five simple ingredients to the Shamrock shot:
This drink can easily be made with vodka (vanilla vodka for a sweeter taste) or Bailey's- you will have the same tasty, green drink!
- crème de cacao
- crème de menthe
- Bailey's Irish Cream
- Garnish- whipped cream, sprinkles, and mints
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
Recipe Variations- as an alternative to baileys or vodka you can use almond milk Bailey's.
- Shot glass
Step by Step Instructions
Five quick steps to the perfect St Patrick's Day shot:
- For best results, chill the liquors in the freezer for an hour or more before making them. They'll thicken up a bit and do a much better job of getting a layered effect.
- Add the crème de menthe first to the shot glass. Gently add the crème de cacao by slowly pouring it over the back of a spoon. The crème de cacao is heavier than the crème de menthe and will sink to the bottom while leaving a layered effect.
- Once the crème de cacao settles on the bottom, gently pour the Bailey's over the back of a spoon into the shot glass.
- Top with a touch of whipped cream and garnish with an Andes mint, St Patrick's Day sprinkles, or chocolate shavings.
- Enjoy your Shamrock shooter with friends by making multiple at a time!
If you're in a hurry and don't have time to chill the liquors, you can of course add them to the shot glass at room temperature. You won't get as much of a layered effect, but they'll taste just as yummy!
If sweet dessert shots aren't your thing, you can reduce the amount of sweetness by leaving out the creme de cacao and swapping it for Jameson Irish Whiskey or vodka.
Don't skip pouring the liquor over the back of a spoon! it does make a difference with the layering if it's added in a very slow drizzle over the spoon compared to being poured all at once.
Try not to fill the shot glass too high with liquors, so you still have room for the whipped cream, and liquors aren't spilling over the top or dripping.
More Cocktail Recipes
Looking for more St Patrick's Day or cocktail recipes? Check out the recipes listed below for more tasty and easy ideas: