Healthy Asian chicken lettuce wraps that are BETTER than P.F. Changs! Perfect as a meal prep lunch or light dinner, plus it all comes together in just 30 minutes. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Asian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
The one must-have dish we order every time we go to PF Changs is of course their famous Asian lettuce wraps filled with ground chicken, crunchy veggies, and a sweet yet slightly spicy sauce.
We've recreated the recipe at home to be much healthier without the gluten and without artificial ingredients, plus it costs less too! Now you can make them as often as you'd like instead of going out for an expensive meal.
We highly recommend that you serve the Asian chicken lettuce wraps with a cup of low carb egg drop soup!
If you're looking for more Asian ground chicken recipes then you'll love our low carb fried rice with cauliflower and our weight watchers eggroll in a bowl.
I'm not gonna lie, our Asian chicken lettuce wraps sauce does have a lot of ingredients. This is a great time to pick them up for cheap at Trader Joe's if you have one near buy. Thankfully, we know you'll love this recipe so much, you'll be adding the ground chicken lettuce wraps regularly into your meal rotation!
- ground chicken
- avocado oil - any mild flavor of oil like a mild olive oil or perhaps peanut oil
- yellow onion, diced - sweet onions or red can also be used
- diced red bell pepper - other colors of bell peppers work great too, red adds a nice color contrast
- water chestnuts
- lettuce leaves - we love butter lettuce leaves but any large lettuce leaf works
- crushed peanuts - used as a garnish to crumble on top
- low sodium soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos - use coconut aminos or tamari to keep the recipe gluten free
- hoisin sauce - buy a gluten free brand to keep this a GF recipe
- sesame oil
- rice vinegar
- peanut butter - natural without sugar is best since the sauce is already sweetened with honey
- sweet chili sauce - we love the Trader Joes sweet chili sauce, it's inexpensive and doesn't add artificial ingredients
- minced garlic - we used frozen minced garlic cubes but freshly minced garlic or garlic in a jar can be used
- ginger paste - Trader Joe's sells frozen ginger cubes that work well here, they have frozen garlic cubes too
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Vegan- use plant based crumbles or seitan instead of the ground chicken
- Gluten Free- the two sources of sneaky gluten in this recipe come from soy sauce and hoisin sauce, use GF products like coconut aminos.
- Low carb- Reduce the sugars in the sauce by making your own sugar-free versions or use a low carb sweetener instead of honey.
How to Make Lettuce Wraps
Making Asian chicken lettuce wraps is as simple as combining the sauce ingredients, adding the rest of the ingredients to a skillet to cook, combing it with sauce, then serving them in lettuce leaves.
Make the sauce by combining the coconut aminos, GF hoisin sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, natural peanut butter, honey, sweet chili sauce, minced garlic, and ginger paste.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the avocado oil to the pan. Once it's hot, add the ground chicken and cook it until browned. Drain the grease and set the chicken aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, saute the onions, peppers, and water chestnuts for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the cooked chicken and the sauce to the pan, and simmer the chicken mix until everything is heated through and coated with sauce.
Serve the ground chicken in lettuce leaves, and garnish with chopped peanuts and freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
- Lean ground turkey or ground beef can be substituted for ground chicken, as can diced chicken.
- To meal prep the Asian chicken lettuce wraps for lunch, store the lettuce leaves separately from the ground chicken so the lettuce doesn't get soggy. Each serving is ⅔ cup of chicken plus 4 lettuce leaves.
- To keep the recipe gluten-free, be sure to use coconut aminos or tamari sauce and gluten-free hoisin sauce. If you aren't trying to eat gluten-free, you can swap the coconut aminos for low-sodium soy sauce.
Butter lettuce leaves are the best lettuce to use for lettuce wraps. They're sometimes sold as living lettuce heads since the roots are still intact, which helps them to last even longer in the fridge. Romaine and iceberg lettuce leaves work well too.
Our ground chicken lettuce wraps make a healthy meal all on their own. You can also serve them along with an Asian soup like eggdrop soup or hot and sour soup. Sauteed cauliflower rice, rice, or egg rolls would be yummy too.
The chicken filling will last in the fridge for up to 4 days, make sure to store the leaves separately so they don't get soggy.
More Healthy Asian Chicken Recipes
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply