Making air fried mushrooms will seriously be your favorite way to roast mushrooms when you want them as a quick side with steak, a roast, or to mix with eggs. In less than 15 minutes you'll have a perfectly cooked and savory mushrooms air fryer recipe with garlic and herbs.
Air Fryer Mushrooms
Mushrooms, mushrooms, mushrooms...oh how delightful those funny looking small fungi can be. Whether we're talking about white button mushrooms, morels, cremini, or portabella, cooking mushrooms in an air fryer in oil, garlic, and seasoning really brings out their flavor.
While everyone in our family has always been a mushroom fan, my kids gobbled up this entire batch right after the air fryer mushrooms were done cooking! Little did I know I'd have to start buying mushrooms in bulk at the grocery store to keep up with my family's love of air-fried mushrooms.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Perfect and healthy air fried mushrooms take just 12 minutes!
- Seasoned with garlic and herbs, they're an easy side served with steak, sausage, or other types of pork.
- Mushrooms are healthy, low calorie, low carb, high in protein and high in vitamin D.
- They're not only tasty, but they also work with just about any health plan including being gluten-free, low carb, dairy-free, keto-friendly, paleo, Whole30, and vegan. I seriously can't think of a diet that doesn't recommend mushrooms!
And if you want to make a complete air fried meal, why not pair the roasted mushrooms in air fryer with our air fryer Italian sausages or air fried pork chops. If you have a large air fryer, you can simply cook the mushrooms with the meat at the same time.
Most of the ingredients you need (other than the mushrooms themselves) are just basic pantry staples. You can change the seasoning, skip it, use a different type of oil, or swap jar garlic for fresh.
While we used standard button mushrooms in this recipe, ANY type of mushroom should work!
- button or crimini mushrooms - feel free to use a variety of mixed mushrooms
- olive oil - avocado is another great choice
- sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- garlic cloves
And feel free to increase the garlic if you're a big garlic fan! We sometimes use garlic salt instead of sea salt to give these even more of a garlic kick. And in a pinch, you can even skip the fresh garlic cloves and use a little dried garlic in its place.
Step by Step Instructions
Depending on the size of your mushrooms, you might decide to leave them whole or cut them into smaller pieces.
Our rule of thumb is to leave small mushrooms whole, halve the medium sized mushrooms, and quarter large mushrooms. If you purchase mushrooms pre-cleaned in a package they're most likely a uniform size. We purchased them from our grocery store bin, which meant ours mostly ended up medium sized or large.
Add the mushrooms to a medium size bowl along with the oil, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.
Stir to combine.
Air Fryer Mushrooms Temperature
Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes at 400 F.
Air Fried Mushrooms Cook Time
Spread the mushrooms out in a single layer on the air fryer rack or in a basket, depending on your model.
The air fryer mushrooms cook time will be a total of 11-12 minutes. Cook the roasted mushrooms in the air fryer for 6 minutes and then flip them or shake your air fryer basket.
Continue cooking them for 5-6+ additional minutes until cooked through.
Serve hot alongside a juicy steak, pork chops, with eggs or other vegetables. Enjoy!
- To cut back on fat and make even healthier air fryer mushrooms you can skip the oil, but they really do add a lot of flavor. Try spritzing the air fried mushrooms with a little oil from a spray bottle instead of an entire tablespoon.
- Don't use non-stick cooking spray on a non-stick basket, it'll cover it in a film that'll cause sticking. If you have an aluminum air frying basket you can coat it with cooking spray.
- Be sure to preheat the air fryer so that the air fried mushrooms will cook on time.
- The mushrooms in air fryer recipe will work in both a basket style air fryer and a toaster oven style.
- Because models can vary, keep a close eye on things after flipping and making the recipe for the first time to make sure they don't overcook.
Can You Cook Frozen Mushrooms in an Air Fryer?
If you purchased a bag of pre-seasoned frozen mushrooms whether they're breaded or unbreaded, and are wanting to air fry them, follow the same cooking time and temperature in this post. You'll want to make air fryer frozen mushrooms from frozen and do not want to defrost them first.
The cook time should be similar to fresh but added a couple extra minutes to the cooking time if needed.
Can I Mix with Other Vegetables?
If you have a large enough air fryer basket or tray, it's easy to take the air fried mushrooms and add other quick cooking veggies to cook alongside. Vegetables that work well to mix in would be onions, green beans, asparagus, pepper slices, and small broccoli florets.
Can I stack the mushrooms?
If you have an air fryer basket style model, you can stack the mushrooms for cooking a large batch at once. Foods in a single layer cook the best, so be sure to shake the basket every 5 minutes and cook the air fryer mushrooms until they're cooked to your preference.
More Air Fryer Vegetables
- air fryer green bean and mushrooms
- air fry baked potatoes recipe
- air fryer frozen broccoli
- Air fryer frozen french fries
And be sure to pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V