Surf and turf is a classic combination that never fails to impress. A tender and juicy filet mignon paired with a sweet and buttery lobster tail, you'll love it for any special occasion or date night.
We're teaching you how easy it is to cook both a steak and lobster recipe together since they both have quick and similar cooking times. All smothered in a simple yet delicious garlic butter sauce. It's a Whole Lotta Yum in less than 15 minutes of cook time!
Steak and Lobster Dinner
Can you seriously think of a better combo than a surf and turf recipe using lobster tails and filet mignon? Especially when you serve it with garlic herb sauce or compound butter! We'll let you in on a little secret, making a steak and lobster dinner is actually super easy! Seriously. With just a little bit of prep, it's a matter of pan frying the steak and while the steak rests you broil the lobster tail in the oven.
Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- Rich and succulent flavor- The filet mignon is known for its tender and juicy texture, while the lobster tail is bursting with a rich, buttery flavor complimented by garlic butter sauce.
- Surf and turf is the perfect choice for special occasions or a romantic dinner for two.
- It's easy to change up the seasonings or sauces with these classic pairings.
- Super quick and easy! Our steak and lobster recipe is easily prepared in under 30 minutes (after the prep).
- Surfer and turf are always impressive.
Surf and Turf Ingredient Notes
The surf and turf recipe was created assuming this is a romantic dinner for two and the quantities are scaled as such. If you're making surf and turf for more than two people, simply double the ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom.
- filet mignon steaks - average size 5-6 oz
- lobster tails - range in size from 3 oz-8 oz+
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sweet paprika, to taste (not smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoon salted butter, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, divided- mince your own, jar garlic, or frozen minced garlic works well.
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh parsley - or another herb such as fresh rosemary or thyme.
How to Make Surf and Turf – Steak and Lobster Recipe
While the steak comes to room temperature, prep the lobster tails. Then it's just a matter of pan searing filet mignon while the meat rests before you serve it and give the lobster tail a quick broil. Surf and turf can be easy and not scary at all!
- Bring the steak to room temperature by letting it rest for 30-60 minutes before cooking. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Butterfly the lobster tails by rinsing the lobster, cutting through the hard tail with kitchen shears down to the fin but not cutting through the fin. Carefully pull open the shell and loosen the meat on both sides. Pull the meat up over the shell. We highly recommend you read our full tutorial on how to butterfly lobster tails post and watch our video if this is your first time.
- Generously season the lobster tails with salt, ground black pepper, and paprika. Keep in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Make the garlic compound butter by combining ¼ cup softened butter, 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves, and 1 tablespoon minced parsley in a small bowl. Put the butter in the fridge until the steak and lobster recipe is done.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Sear the Steak
- Season the filet mignon steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the filet mignon steaks and cook them for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and have the perfect sear. Don't peek! In the last 2 minutes of cooking time, add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley to the pan.
- Transfer the cast iron skillet with the steaks to the oven and bake for an additional 5-6+ minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare.
- Remove the steak from the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil, and let it rest on a cutting board.
Broil the Lobster Tails
Place the lobster tails in a separate broiler-safe dish and top each with a pat of butter. Broil for 1 minute per pound, or until the meat is fully cooked to 140°F and the shells are lightly browned. Our 5-ounce tails took 5 minutes to cook.
To serve, place a filet mignon steak and lobster tail on individual serving plates.
Serve with the softened compound butter on the side or you can melt it like a sauce too. Side dishes such as salad, steamed veggies, and breadsticks are great ideas. Enjoy your date night!
- Make sure your steaks are at room temperature before cooking, this will help them cook evenly.
- Season both the steaks and lobster tail generously with salt and pepper. They're the classic seasonings but feel free to add others such as steak seasoning or fresh herbs such as rosemary.
- Please use a digital meat thermometer to test for doneness, stoves and ovens can vary slightly and an instant-read thermometer is the best way to test this.
- Let the steaks rest before serving, this allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a juicier and more tender steak.
What to Serve with Surf and Turf
We love to serve surf and turf with air fryer sides dishes, an Instant Pot side, a make ahead side dish like a green salad, or we'll roast veggies earlier in the day and just reheat them. Serve your surf and turf dinner with the following side dishes:
- Air fryer broccolini
- Roasted potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- A simple green salad
- Roasted vegetables - asparagus, broccoli, green beans, or Brussels sprouts.
What is the best internal temperature for steak and lobster?
The best internal temp for a steak and lobster dinner depends on your personal preference, especially how you like your steak cooked. Our surf and turf recipe is written to have the steak done medium-rare. Here's a handy USDA chart:
- Rare: 120-125°F (49-52°C)
- Medium Rare: 130-135°F (54-57°C)
- Medium: 140-145°F (60-63°C)
- Medium Well: 150-155°F (66-68°C)
- Well Done: 160°F (71°C) and above
- Fully Cooked: 140°F (60°C)
What kind of steak is best for a surf and turf dinner?
Some of the best cuts of steak for a steak and lobster dinner are ribeye, sirloin steak, NY strip, T-bone, and filet mignon.
Can I use shrimp or scallops instead of lobster tail?
Of course! Surf and turf are delicious with any combo of high-quality steak paired with seafood. The sky is the limit on whether you want to cook lobster tails, shrimp, scallops, salmon, cod, or another type of seafood.
What is compound herb butter?
Compound butter is a type of flavored butter made by combining softened butter with various simple ingredients such as herbs, spices, garlic, or citrus zest.
The herb butter then gets chilled and is served on top of foods such as surf and turf steak and lobster, or vegetables. You can also melt it over foods too.
More Romantic Date Night Meals
- Air fryer steak and lobster
- Branzini Fish
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana (Crock-pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo
- Pan seared ribeye with steakhouse creamed spinach