An easy and healthy orange beef stir fry! You'll love this Asian inspired beef and broccoli stir fry recipe with hints of orange for a super fast weeknight dinner. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM in less than 30 minutes!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Quick and easy Asian inspired recipes will always be a favorite in our house. We are not claiming this is an authentic Chinese orange beef or broccoli beef recipe, our version is made with ingredients home cooks can easily get at any grocery store.
This healthy orange beef recipe is a favorite in particular, get dinner on the table fast plus the leftovers are great for making meal prep lunches or dinners for the week. All you need is a large skillet!
Why You'll Love This!
- Amazing Flavor Combo - the blend of orange with tender beef is divine!
- Fast and Simple - ready in just 30 minutes; perfect for weeknight dinners. Get your favorite Chinese inspired broccoli beef recipe at home but made healthier.
- Customizable - easily swap in other veggies or add some heat with red pepper flakes.
- Healthy - packed with vitamins from the broccoli and the antioxidant goodness of oranges. Made with real ingredients and honey for a touch of sweetness.
- Great for meal prep!
Ingredients for Orange Beef Recipe
All of the ingredients we're using to make orange beef stir fry are common and easy to find!
Using a fresh orange is an important part of this orange peel beef recipe, you not only need the juice but you need the orange peel too! A small amount of orange peel really increases the orange flavor.
- orange juice and orange zest - from a fresh orange
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- honey - other types of sweeteners can be used instead
- stir fry meat or thinly sliced beef like shredded beef strips or even ribeye steak
- cornstarch - used to thicken the sauce and add a bit of crispy to the beef. You can also use flour or you can skip it.
- fine sea salt
- coarse ground black pepper
- broccoli - just the crowns cut into bite sized pieces
- mild oil - extra virgin olive oil, canola, or vegetable oil
- red bell pepper - we used red but other colors such as yellow, orange, or green are great too.
- Red pepper flakes - adds a touch of heat but overall this is still a mild dish.
- Optional garnishes- sliced green onions, sesame seeds, fresh cubed orange segments, red pepper flakes
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
As written, the orange beef stir fry recipe is dairy free and low carb. It's easy to make gluten free and even lower in carb with our swaps below!
- Gluten-free: use tamari or gluten-free soy sauce instead of regular soy sauce.
- Paleo: replace soy sauce with coconut aminos and use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch.
- Low-sugar: use a sugar substitute instead of honey such as a keto friendly honey substitute or using golden monk fruit.
How to Make Orange Beef and Broccoli
There are just two basic steps when making caper pasta, getting the pot of water boiling and once it starts bubbling and you add your pasta, sauté the quick 5-minute lemon caper butter sauce.
- In a small bowl combine the fresh orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and honey. In a medium bowl, add the sliced beef, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
2. In a large skillet, add the broccoli and 1 cup of water to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook the broccoli partially covered until it's bright green and crisp-tender (about 4-6 minutes). Set aside. Discard any water and wipe clean with a paper towel.
3. Add the oil to the pan. Over medium-high heat, sauté the beef until it's browned (2-4 minutes). You might need to cook this in two batches if the skillet isn't large enough.
4. Add the broccoli, red bell pepper strips, a pinch of red bell pepper strips, and orange juice mixture to the skillet. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens, which will just take a couple of minutes.
5. Serve with a side of rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips for Orange Peel Beef
- You want to use a quick cooking high-quality beef and not something like stew meat. Cuts like top or bottom round steak, or ribeye steak are tender and don't need to be cooked long like chuck roast or brisket, which have tougher connective tissues.
- Feel free to swap up the veggies or leave them out! This would also be delicious with chopped orange slices mixed in.
- To make this recipe low carb, skip the money and use monk fruit to taste and then use tamari sauce or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- With other veggies: add green beans, carrots, or snow peas for extra crunch.
- Spicy version: throw in some red pepper flakes or sliced fresh chilies.
- Without orange peel: if you prefer, leave it out for a milder orange flavor.
- Add nuts: sprinkle in some toasted cashews or almonds for added texture.
What to Serve With Broccoli Beef
- Steamed Rice: white or brown are both great.
- Noodles: Lo mein noodles, rice noodles, or low carb hearts of palm noodles add an extra layer of texture to this dish.
- Steamed Vegetables: Keep it healthy and light with some steamed veggies like carrots or green beans on the side.
- Spring Rolls: Who doesn't love spring rolls?
- Asian Slaw
- Easy Egg Drop Soup: Ours takes just 15 minutes!
- Cauliflower Rice: For a low-carb option, serve your orange beef over cauliflower rice.
Storing & Reheating
- Storing: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: Reheat in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through or microwave the leftovers.
The best cuts of beef for orange beef stir fry are those that are tender and lean, such as flank steak, sirloin, or tenderloin. These cuts cook quickly and absorb the flavors of the sauce well. Do not use beef such as stew meat since it's thick connective tissues require slow cooking.
Yes, you can use store-bought orange juice for this recipe. However, for the best orange flavor you need both fresh orange juice and orange peel. Without the orange peel, your orange beef recipe won't have as much orange flavor.
Orange beef stir fry can be a healthy dish, especially when you make our recipe! It contains protein from the beef and vitamins from broccoli, red bell peppers, and oranges.
To make it even healthier, you can use low-sodium soy sauce, add more vegetables, and use lean cuts of beef.