Before you consider a keto diet you should know the basics of the keto pros and cons to help you make a decision before starting.
One of the most popular reasons on why keto is sweeping the nation is because of how quickly keto followers have been able to lose weight...all while feeling full from focusing on heart healthy fats.
Pros and Cons of Keto Diet
My husband started a keto diet last year and was able to shed 30 lbs in just a few months following keto. He seriously could NOT believe how he rarely felt hungry, and by focusing on the combination of fats, alongside protein, and low carb veggies, he was able to quickly drop weight without ever feeling deprived.
While he started with a strict keto diet, for some reason he struggled to reach ketosis. It honestly was a constant source of frustration for him. Since he was still losing weight, he decided that a lazy keto program was a better fit for him.
According to many professionals, here are the top reasons or keto pros that dieters around the globe have found success with the ketogenic diet.
- Weight loss – many people feel they have an easier time losing weight following the keto diet compared to other types of diets they’ve tried in the past.
- Feeling full for longer since fats take longer to break down in our bodies, which helps to eliminate overeating or over-snacking.
- Focusing on healthy fats means people can still enjoy some of their favorite foods like cheese, butter, oils, beef, avocado, and nuts.
- It can help to reduce body fat, which makes it a popular diet for some pro athletes and body-builders.
- Studies have shown that the keto diet potentially helps certain health conditions such as seizures, diabetes, or cancer.
Knowing about the potential negatives of the keto diet is also really important. Even if the keto pros sound enticing, it isn't a diet that works for everyone, especially as a long-term weight-loss solution.
- Nutritional Deficiency – With whole food groups getting eliminated it can be hard to get all the vitamins you need.
- It can be hard to stick to since it's very restrictive on what can be eaten.
- Many experience keto flu symptoms such as headache, fatigue, brain fog, and irritability.
- Gut health. Constipation is a common issue since so little fiber is getting consumed, which isn't good for gut health.
- Not a good long term weight-loss solution. While keto is often successful for short-term weight-loss or to jumpstart weight-loss, it's not a healthy diet option long-term due to the above-mentioned reasons.
Our quick list of the pros and cons of the keto diet is just to be considered a brief overview and should not be substituted for medical advice. Please be sure to check with a Dr. before starting a new diet such as a ketogenic program.
Get Keto Organized!
Looking for even more keto help? Hundreds of readers have purchased our popular keto diet workbook to help get started with their keto journey!
Our Keto Made Simple diet tracker is filled with 50+ pages of printable keto tracking templates, printables, and cheat sheets to help you not only keep track of your keto diet progress but also give you tons of ideas and resources to make keto organization easy.
More Keto Resources
- What is the keto diet?
- Types of keto diets
- How to get started on a keto diet
- Foods to Avoid on Keto
Leave a Reply