If you are looking for a quick, hot dinner option, then look no further than our dairy-free beef stroganoff! We are combining thin-sliced shaved beef, onions, and mushrooms, to create the best homemade stovetop beef stroganoff in just 20-minutes to make a super simple WHOLE LOTTA YUM dinner that is sure to please everyone around your table.
Beef Stroganoff Without Sour Cream
Beef stroganoff is one of those hearty meals that too often gets tossed aside when you are trying to follow a healthy eating lifestyle. Not wanting this dish to be off-limits to our household, we set out in our own home kitchen to test out a few different options.
We ended up with a beautifully flavored dairy-free beef stroganoff without sour cream (which is traditional) that hit all of the nostalgia elements while also being mindful of a dairy free lifestyle.
Best of all, we are all able to enjoy one of our family favorite dinners again!
Serve your dairy-free stroganoff alongside vegetables, cauliflower rice, zoodles, pasta, or potatoes.
Why You'll Love This!
- Our stovetop dairy-free beef stroganoff goes from prep to plate in just 20-minutes making this one of the easiest hot dinner options ever!
- With sauteed mushrooms and onions, this healthy beef stroganoff recipe contains all of the elements of a classic stroganoff without all of the other items that make it off-limits to making healthy lifestyles.
- Cooking with shaved steak helps keep the whole process quick and easy so you can enjoy this quick, hot dinner any night of the week.
- To make your dairy-free stroganoff creamy we are going to utilize coconut milk in place of the sour cream found in traditional stroganoff recipes.
- You'll love our easy beef stroganoff recipe, even more, when you learn that it's compatible with low-carb, keto, gluten-free, paleo, and dairy-free lifestyles!
If you are looking for additional keto beef dinners that can be made in under 30-minutes, look no further than our low-carb Philly cheesesteak casserole, air fryer steak tips, and our ground beef with zucchini casserole for easy weeknight dinners and healthy eating options!
If you're looking for shaved steak recipes, this is a great one! It's a one-dish meal using simple ingredients that cooks up in 20 minutes.
- coconut oil - other types of oil such as canola oil or extra virgin olive oil will work also
- onion - thinly sliced
- garlic cloves - minced
- mushrooms - the recipe uses crimini but sliced button mushrooms or any variety of mushrooms will work
- seasoning- salt, pepper, Dijon mustard
- shaved beef or stir fry meat - thinly sliced steak works too or we show you how to add ground beef below. You can also use sliced ribeye steak.
- canned coconut milk - this is NOT coconut beverage, but unsweetened coconut milk
- optional garnish- cilantro
Step by Step Instructions
Slice your onions and mushrooms.
Mince garlic cloves.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the coconut oil (or you can use canola, olive oil, or ghee) and let melt.
Saute 1 thinly sliced onion for 5 minutes. It won't be all the way cooked but will finish cooking with the beef and mushroom mixture later on. Sometimes we'll use red onions and other times it'd be a sweet onion. I love to cook with sweet onions since they don't bother my eyes as much as regular white onions do.
Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook about 3-5 mins, until the mushrooms are starting to soften.
Stir in the salt, pepper and dijon mustard until evenly distributed.
Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the shaved beef to the same pan as the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
***NOTE: If you're substituting ground beef for the shaved beef/stir fry meat and making ground beef stroganoff, you'll want to cook the ground beef in a separate pan before this step. Drain the grease and then add it to this easy beef stroganoff recipe at this point.
Turn down the heat to medium-low and add 1 c coconut milk to the beef and vegetable mixture.
Simmer 2-3 more minutes until all of the ingredients are heated through.
The coconut milk mixed with the beef juice and liquid from the broken-down mushrooms is what makes this paleo beef stroganoff gravy so delicious!
Serve the easy dairy free beef stroganoff immediately and enjoy!
We served this low carb and paleo beef stroganoff with cauliflower rice, but it could also get served with regular rice, egg noodles, rice noodles or gnocchi, depending on your dietary preferences.
We highly recommend you double this recipe, otherwise, it'll get gobbled up and you'll have no leftovers!
- We used pre-sliced shaved beef to make dairy free beef stroganoff but you can also slice thinly cut steak like ribeye or sirloin to make the recipe.
- Prep all ingredients (mushrooms, onions, and garlic) before you start cooking since the recipe cooks so quickly!
- Regular canned unsweetened coconut milk works best, but you can substitute the light coconut milk, however, the sauce won't be as thick. Coconut cream works great too.
If you have any leftover dairy free stroganoff, store them in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 4 days.
We love serving beef stroganoff without sour cream with cauliflower rice, zoodles, potatoes, or other vegetables to keep our entire meal compliant with dairy-free, gluten-free, and low-carb lifestyles. The traditional egg noodles are amazing too!
Yes, you can! Because we are using coconut milk rather than traditional dairy, this beef stroganoff recipe will freeze for up to 3-months.
More Keto Beef Recipes
Looking for more keto beef recipes?
- Air Fryer Steak Tips
- Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Hamburger Green Bean Casserole with Mushrooms
- Ground Beef Zucchini Casserole (Keto, Low Carb, GF)