21 Best Sausage Casseroles that make the perfect breakfast, lunch, or dinner meals for family and friends. You’ll love these casseroles using Italian sausage, bratwurst, and kielbasa sausage for yummy recipes!
Whether you’re looking for breakfast casseroles with hash browns and eggs, or a dinner classic casserole with pork sausages, or a family favorite like lasagna, there’ll be a new favorite on this list for the entire family!
We are a family who loves our flavorful sausage recipes and casseroles, you’ve got the best of both worlds when you combine those two into a hearty sausage casserole recipe! Always a guaranteed yummy meal for all family members when sausage casseroles are involved, a good hearty casserole was a must on Christmas morning when we were growing up.
Anything from breakfast to a quick and easy lunch or dinner, these recipes are fabulous and make fantastic dinner options. And there’s nothing like a good breakfast casserole for dinner! Even to keep dinner simple on busy weeknights, these are great weeknight or weekend night sausage casserole recipes. Plus there’s always a lot left over for the next morning!
Whether you’re looking for a nice, quick breakfast idea with friends or want a simple but super tasty dinner dish that everyone will love, sausage casseroles are the move. Some of these sausage casserole recipes are great stored in the fridge or kept frozen until ready to serve! All made under an hour, and some in just 30 minutes, you have great go-to dishes whether you’re on special diets or have no restrictions at all!
And putting together your own sausage casserole is honestly easy to do.
It was one of the first projects in 9th grade Home Economics (do they even teach that anymore?) Just start with a protein like ground sausage or sliced sausage you first cook sausage in a large skillet on medium-high heat with a touch of olive oil, mix in a starch like potatoes for a sausage potato casserole, pasta, or add cooked rice for a rice casserole. Add in some veggies like green pepper, onions, red onion, broccoli, or green beans.
Create your sauce whether it be a can of soup or stir in sour cream or cream cheese with seasonings like Italian seasoning thinned out with chicken broth, and season it all with fresh herbs like fresh parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper or red pepper flakes for a kick. And don’t forget the sharp cheddar cheese on top or another type of cheese before baking it all in the oven!
- 1 lb Italian sausages (sweet or spicy), cut each into thirds
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cups onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups chunky marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil to the pan.
- Sear the Italian sausage on each side until it's browned, which will take about 3 minutes per side. (It won't be cooked through). Remove the Italian sausage from the pan and set it aside.
- Add a little more olive oil to the skillet if it's needed and then add the sliced peppers, sliced onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the pan. Saute the veggie mix until it's mostly soft, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and combine them with the onion and pepper mix.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with Italian seasoning. Top it with the marinara sauce and sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the Italian sausage and peppers casserole for 15+ minutes until the sausage is cooked through and the cheese is melted. To get the crispy cheese appearance, broil it for 1-2 minutes.
We used a cast iron skillet to make this a one-pan meal. If you don't have one simply cook the ingredients in any skillet and then transfer the mix to an oven-safe casserole dish.
Italian sausage is considered done at 160 degrees F but sometimes when you're cooking it alongside other ingredients, the internal temperature can be higher. Pork sausage still tastes tender and juicy up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 483Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 70mgSodium 1207mgCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 25g