Creamy horseradish sauce is a unique condiment that combines the spicy flavor of horseradish with a creamy, smooth texture. Packed with flavor, it adds an interesting kick to many meat dishes without being too overwhelming. It is sure to add a flavorful kick of flavor wherever it's used! It's sure to be a Whole Lotta Yum!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Best Creamy Horseradish Sauce Recipe
Creamy horseradish sauce is the perfect accompaniment to a variety of dishes. It goes amazingly well with our Dutch oven corned beef and cabbage, crock-pot ham, and air fryer ham. You can drizzle on top of roast beef sandwiches, beef tenderloin, and prime rib too.
You'll love how our 5 minute horseradish sauce for corned beef or beef tenderloin is made just in one bowl. Draining the excess moisture makes the sauce extra creamy, plus the addition of a bit of mustard adds a punch of flavor.
To add an extra bit of fun to cooking with creamy horseradish sauce, here's a fun fact: The horseradish root vegetable was once used in ancient Egypt as medicine for heartburn! So enjoy this tasty homemade horseradish sauce knowing it just might come with some health benefits as well.
Why You'll Love This!
- Easy to make in advance! Leftover horseradish sauce tastes even better so let it rest a bit if you have time.
- Customize to your liking- For more spice add more prepared horseradish or mix in herbs or other seasoning mixes.
- Adds a punch of flavor to many beef and pork main dishes, or it tastes fantastic on sandwiches too.
🥘 Ingredients in Horseradish Sauce
Homemade horseradish sauce is a simple yet flavorful mix of 5 ingredients, most of which are common pantry ingredients other than the horseradish.
- Sour cream - Crème fraîche can be used in place of sour cream, as can Greek yogurt. Use the full-fat varieties.
- Mayo - Extra sour cream or Greek yogurt can be used in place of mayo if you're not a fan. Regular mayo or miracle whip mayo are both great options, with the later providing a touch more sweetness.
- Prepared horseradish - Prepared horseradish from the store contains extra liquid, so make sure to strain before preparing the recipe.
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Chopped chives - Freeze dried chives are a great swap for fresh. Even chopped green onions would impart a lovely flavor as well.
- Fresh lemon juice - Vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used in place of lemon juice.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Use apple cider vinegar, champagne vinegar, or even lemon juice as an acid, whichever is your preference.
- Grated horseradish root - If you do happen to make horseradish sauce with freshly grated horseradish root, do take note that this will bring a lot more heat than prepared horseradish from the store.
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Use a strainer or cheesecloth to drain the extra liquid from the jarred horseradish.
🔪 How to Make Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Just as simple as straining the jarred horseradish and combining with the other ingredients. Who knew such a flavorful sauce could be so easy!
Prep Ingredients & Assemble
Remove the liquid from the horseradish by pressing the horseradish with a spoon into a small strainer. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, mayo, horseradish, fresh chives, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
Serve the creamy horseradish sauce with corned beef, prime rib, beef tenderloin, or ham. Enjoy!
💡 Horseradish Cream Sauce Recipe Tips
- Itʼs easy to double the recipe if you just can't get enough sauce. It's delicious served with a beef roast such as corned beef or prime rib, pork roast, or ham.
- You can also use all sour cream instead of a combo of sour cream and mayonnaise, we just find the addition of mayo gives it a little something extra.
- Removing the excess moisture from the horseradish will give you the perfect sauce consistency, if you skip this step the sauce will be thinner.
- For a sweeter sauce you can mix in honey or brown sugar to taste.
- Store the sauce in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Homemade creamy horseradish sauce typically lasts for 2-4 days if kept in the refrigerator. It is important to store it in an airtight container or jar and keep it away from direct sunlight. If you would like to extend its shelf life, you can freeze the sauce for up to 6 months. When freezing the sauce, be sure to use tightly sealed containers or freezer safe bags. I like to use Souper Cubes.
Our horseradish sauce for prime rib can be used on any Christmas beef roast, corned beef, ham, as well as many other pork dishes. Create a delicious lunch with baked potatoes and a roast beef sandwich topped with this creamy horseradish sauce recipe.
Horseradish sauce has a sharp and pungent taste. Its flavor is strong and spicy, with a hint of sweetness, making it an ideal condiment for meats, seafood, or vegetables. Additionally, It can also be added to mayonnaise or ketchup to create a unique dip or used as a marinade for grilling.
Yes! If you come across horsey sauce as a condiment, and if you love horseradish, then you'll likely enjoy that bit of tang and spice! You might be inspired to make your own horseradish sauce.
😋 What to Serve with Horseradish Sauce
Lastly take advantage of any leftover horseradish sauce and add it to any of these dishes for some extra flavor!
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️