Did you know that you can make grilled cheese in air fryer?! It’s a fantastic way to create that super delicious, warm, and crispy sandwich and a great way to get kids started in the kitchen and cooking! This air fryer grilled cheese recipe is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM way to spend just 15-minutes cooking and create lifelong memories.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
There is something so nostalgic about a grilled cheese sandwich. Warm and toasty on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside, and a reminder of home cooking. Growing up, it was one of my children’s favorite sandwiches and a request that was easy to accommodate.
Whether we were serving our grilled cheese alongside a can of soup, getting fancy with an Italian Tortelli soup, or pairing it with my personal favorite, this pressure cooker chicken noodle, there is something perfect about a dinner of soup and sandwiches.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Grilled cheese in air fryer is just as simple as the stovetop version.
- Create a perfectly customized air fryer grilled cheese by choosing from your favorite bread and cheese combinations.
- Keep your sandwich simple by opting for just bread and cheese, or get creative by adding in bacon, ham, or tomato.
- Teach your kids how to cook with a recipe that is perfect for little chefs everywhere.
- The whole recipe needs just 3 ingredients!
Create a quick and simple meal with air fryer snacks including air fryer frozen waffle fries, air fryer frozen pizza, and air fryer frozen chicken nuggets! Not only are these all kid-approved recipes, but they are also easy enough to let your little cooks take the lead in the kitchen with.
Two slices of your favorite bread, a slice of your favorite cheese, and some butter are all you need to create your grilled cheese in air fryer.
- cheddar cheese slices
- Bread – Any variety of bread will work for your air fryer grilled cheese including white, wheat, thin French bread slices, gluten-free bread, keto bread, or sprouted grain bread.
- Cheese – Cheddar may be considered classic, but you can also make your grilled cheese in air fryer with mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, or even American.
- Butter – You can opt to use margarine or another butter substitute, or omit this ingredient altogether.
- Vegan– In place of the cheese, use a plant-based cheese substitute. Omit butter or use a vegan-friendly alternative.
- Gluten-Free– Opt for gluten-free bread.
- Keto– Use a low-carb or keto-approved bread.
Step by Step Instructions
No more work than a traditional grilled cheese, your grilled cheese in air fryer just needs a few minutes of your time and a plate.
Lightly brush your bread with room-temperature butter on one side only.
Place two slices of thinly sliced cheddar cheese in between the bread slices, overlapping the cheese if needed so it is not sticking out of the bread. The buttered side of the bread should be facing out.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Temp
Preheat your air fryer to 380F. Allow the unit to warm for 5-minutes. Most air fryer models will preheat automatically, but if yours does not, turn the unit to 380F and allow it to run for 5 minutes before you begin cooking.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Cooking Time
Place the prepared sandwich in your preheated air fryer and cook the air fryer grilled cheese sandwich for 5-minutes.
Flip the sandwich over with a non-stick spatula and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Your air fryer grilled cheese will need to cook for a total of 9-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
Serve warm. Enjoy!
- Make sure the cheese is not hanging over the edge of the bread because it’ll melt and spread over the sides during cooking.
- Preheating your air fryer ensures that your grilled cheese begins cooking immediately.
- Your grilled cheese in air fryer is done when the bread’s exterior reaches your preferred crispness.
- For best results, serve immediately.
- If making multiple sandwiches you are going to need to cook in batches. Do not stack or overlap air fryer grilled cheese.
Keep it classic with grilled cheese in air fryer and Instant Pot chicken noodle soup, or opt for a kid-friendly spread of air fryer favorites including frozen pizza, mozzarella sticks, and chicken nuggets.
Yes, you can make any variety of toasted sandwiches you prefer. Remember that thinner bread slices will take less time to cook, while thicker slices could take longer. Add any fresh ingredients, like lettuce, pickles, or olives, after cooking
Yes. You can omit the butter, which is a great way to make it healthier. The end result won’t have the same buttery flavor or texture, but it will still be delish!
More Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for more air fryer recipes?
- Frozen Waffle Fries in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub
- Air Fryer Turkey Bacon
- Frozen Pizza in Air Fryer
- 2 slices of bread
- 1-2 oz cheddar cheese slices
- Preheat the air fryer to 380F for 5 minutes.
- Place two slices of thinly sliced cheddar cheese in between the bread slices, overlapping the cheese if needed.
- Cook the air fryer grilled cheese sandwich for a total of 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown. Flip the sandwich over with a non-stick spatula after 5 minutes of cooking.
Make sure the cheese is not hanging over the edge of the bread because it'll melt and spread over the sides during cooking.
Any type of bread will work for making air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches--white bread, wheat, thin French bread slices, gluten-free bread, keto bread, or sprouted grain bread
While cheddar is the classic cheese to add to a sandwich, why not mix it up by using mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, or other kinds of your favorite cheese. For a vegan version try plant-based meltable cheese product.
Margarine can be substituted for butter if desired or you can skip it entirely to lighten it up even more.
You can use this same recipe to make variations such as adding bacon, tomatoes, ham, or other kinds of sandwiches.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 496Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 87mgSodium 766mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 19g