Are you having a hard time coming up with low carb lunch ideas to meal prep? It's something many struggle with until learning that planning ahead and meal planning makes for easy low carb and keto meal prep lunches and dinners.
Healthy low carb meal prep ideas make it so much easier to stick to your low carb or keto meal plan and make it easier to skip the take-out at lunch.
Whether you prefer salads, soups, casseroles, one dish meals, quick ideas that don't require a recipe, or recipes you can make for dinner and then eat during the week, we have 60 super delicious low carb and keto meal prep ideas you can make in advance for when you're on the go, want to track macros, or need a healthy work lunch.
Low Carb Keto Meal Prep Ideas: Getting Started
The first step to creating amazing and easy low carb lunch ideas for meal prep is making sure you have the right tools for the job. We personally love to use glass containers that store well, can be reheated, and can even go in the freezer too.
Meal prepping in advance and batch cooking your low carb lunches makes sticking to a healthy lifestyle so much easier. For readers who don't like to count calories at every meal (like me!), meal prepping is a game changer! You just need to count the calories once and then write them on the outside of the meal prep containers for storage.
Our favorite low carb meal prep resources:
- Plastic BPA free meal prep containers - We love these, especially for meals that don't need to be reheated, but even if they do, they're BPA free. Buying a sturdy plastic container is the least expensive way for low carb and keto meal prep.
- Glass Meal Prep Containers - 5 pack - Glass meal prep containers work great for your low carb lunch, they heat well and are very sturdy. The downside to using glass is they're heavier, they cost more, and don't stack as well as the plastic containers.
Did you know there are Keto Meal Prep Cookbooks you can actually read for FREE if you have an Amazon Kindle subscription. If you don't have Amazon Kindle you can also try it one month for free to download lots of healthy and low carb cookbooks. We do this hack when traveling to download travel guides!
Low Carb Meal Prep
We're sharing some of our most popular low carb lunches from our website plus included keto lunch meal prep recipes from other foodie websites too.
These are all terrific low carb lunch ideas for weight loss since you can package them into meal prep containers, you know how many calories each meal will be, and you're less likely to binge since you've prepped your food for the next few days.
Making a low carb keto Big Mac Salad is a fantastic way to get the flavors of a cheeseburger without all carbs. Layer your ingredients in meal prep containers and then add the special sauce when you go to eat it.
One of our reader favorite recipes! Either make our homemade Big Mac Sauce or buy low carb store-bought special sauce.
Keto broccoli salad is our most popular salad recipe for a reason, plus it's a super hearty salad that'll keep you full during the day.
Raw broccoli salad loaded with bacon, cheese, sunflower seeds, and an easy homemade dressing holds up all during the work week and makes it a perfect candidate for low carb lunch ideas. Our low carb readers love to also serve this for potlucks and BBQ's!
This incredible recipe for Greek salad bowl with meal prep chicken is seriously addicting and will feed you a low carb lunch for days on end.
The chicken is so good in this recipe you'll find yourself making it just to eat on its own for dinner too! We love to buy precooked chicken and tzatziki sauce to assemble this quickly in the morning.
One of the keys to eating low carb and sticking to it is eating a lot more protein and also healthy fats. Stuffing avocado halves with our healthy tuna salad recipe does just that!
Just rub a little lime juice on the avocado to keep it from turning brown for keto meal prep, or try to fully cover the avocado halves with tuna salad.
Threading antipasto on a stick not only makes a quick and easy keto meal prep idea for lunch, but they're easy to customize plus it's a great way to use up a little bit of this and that in the fridge.
While we love it as one of our favorite low carb lunch ideas, they make the perfect appetizer too!
Keto meal prep ideas can't get much easier than making our quick and healthy keto taco salad.
Whether you make it with ground turkey, beef, or chicken, this will definitely become a low-carb lunch staple.
No one will miss the crust when you make our ham and broccoli crustless quiche.
Not only is it easy to change the ham to bacon or use different veggies, but it's also delicious served for lunch or breakfast, or hot or cold!
Our 15 minute smoked salmon sushi bowls are low carb as is, but to make them keto compliant you'll want to swap the carrot sticks and edamame beans for lower carb veggies of your choice or load up on the other ingredients.
If you haven't yet tried eggroll in a bowl, it is seriously a MUST. It comes together in JUST 15 minutes!
I'm not sure what's up with all of these crack names, but this is also commonly called keto crack slaw. This is probably one of the most popular low carb lunch ideas in the keto world, which of course is amazing for dinner too.
Low carb fish taco bowls come together in less than 30 minutes and make a light and refreshing lunch (or dinner) any time of year.
A 10 minute baked cod gets paired with a healthy coleslaw and avocado wedges, limes, and cilantro. Don't forget the low carb margs on the side (if you work for yourself lol)!
Pizza Chicken Meal Prep
Recipe and picture by Meal Prep on Fleek
Pizza chicken? This is definitely a win! You still get your favorite pizza flavors but lighter and without the high carb crust. This makes for terrific low carb lunch ideas and would surely be a family-friendly healthy weeknight dinner too! Make sure to double the recipe so you can include this in your keto meal prep ideas.
This yummy and gooey chicken pizza cooks up in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Life Made Sweeter prepares this on a sheet pan and offers both a low carb chicken fajitas version and also an option for those wanting corn tortillas too.
Fajitas of all kinds are one of our favorite low carb lunch ideas since it cooks up fast and stores well in the freezer for batch cooking. We often use pre-cooked chicken and frozen mix bell peppers to whip up fajitas in a flash.
Substituting beef, pork, shrimp or portobello mushrooms are great low carb fajita options so you can vary things up.
So many Asian dishes are filled with sugar, artificial ingredients, and other mystery things we just don't want to eat. Finding healthy versions of our favorite take-out dishes makes sticking to a low carb lifestyle so much easier.
These super yummy low carb Korean beef bowls are the perfect solution for low carb meal prep! Serve with cauliflower rice. The recipe makes 4 servings, plus since it's packed with so much flavor this is definitely a low carb lunch you'd actually want to eat days in a row. We include a recipe for a spicy sauce, but it's totally optional and the recipe is terrific without it too!
I don't know about you, but shrimp and zucchini noodles are one of the BEST combinations.
Shrimp and zoodles can be whipped up in under 15 minutes when you use store-bought pesto sauce! So whether you're in a hurry making lunches on a busy morning, or you're looking for speedy low carb meal prep recipe, you're going to LOVE our pesto zucchini noodles with shrimp for a keto or low carb lunch.
Another shrimp and zucchini noodles option we recommend (that used to be featured in this list) is this recipe by Kirbie's Cravings.
A healthy Italian-inspired turkey zucchini skillet recipe loaded with flavor that comes together quickly.
Our healthy turkey zucchini skillet recipe is low carb, dairy free, Whole30, and keto friendly. Great for a quick dinner or for keto meal prep lunches if you double the recipe. Serve with cauliflower rice.
Recipe and photo by Meal Prep on Fleek
What I love about this low carb lunch meal prep idea is that other than the meat and making hard-boiled eggs, you simply add in any leftover vegetables you have in your fridge. Very resourceful and easy!
Making a meal prep chicken salad is even easier when you start with precooked chicken, bacon, and hard-boiled eggs.
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
This cilantro lime chicken with cauliflower rice will definitely become one of your low carb lunch favorites. The chicken cooks up in a flash and you can simply add whatever veggies you have handy.
She does mix in a small amount of black beans with the cauliflower rice, if you're following a keto diet then just leave them out, but even as is the recipe is still only 9 net carbs per serving.
Recipe and image by Fit Foodie Finds
Low Carb Coconut Curry Meatballs
Here's another wonderful low carb lunch meal prep idea from Fit Foodie Finds. I don't know about you, but we're curry obsessed here at WLY and could eat it over and over again. And serving the meatballs with cauliflower rice always keeps carbs down.
She uses a little rolled oats in the meatballs, if you're looking for a keto lunch meal prep idea, you can simply substitute almond flour for the rolled oats.
We always use almond flour as a binder for any meatballs we make and it works like a charm.
Recipe and photo by Fit Foodie Finds
Dinner Doubles: More Keto Meal Prep Ideas
These keto lunch meal prep ideas also are great suggestions for dinner too!
They provide lots of leftovers that make great keto lunches or you can double them for the week or freeze them for later.
- Stuffed Peppers without Rice - Savory and cheesy stuffed peppers with cauliflower rice make the ultimate low carb lunch comfort food. Eat them for dinner and save the rest as a keto lunch idea.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole - So fast when you have pre-cooked chicken on hand. You can also prep this and freeze meal prep containers for lunches throughout the week.
- 20-minute beef stroganoff - One of our personal favorite keto meal prep ideas, you can easily substitute ground beef, turkey or chicken for the steak strips. This is also paleo and pairs well with riced broccoli or cauliflower.
- Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels- If you believe everything is better with bacon than these quick and easy pinwheels will make the best low carb lunch for you. The recipe whips up in 30 minutes and makes 10 servings. The hard part will be keeping them away from others!
- Keto chicken broccoli casserole - When you start with precooked chicken, this casserole is done from start to finish in less than 30 minutes. Yummy and easy keto casseroles are one of our favorite low carb lunch meal prep ideas since they're quick to put together and can easily give you 6-8 servings from one pan.
- Philly cheesesteak wraps These keto Philly cheesesteak wraps come with a link for a low carb tortilla, you can also use lettuce leaves or just eat the hearty filling out of a bowl.
No Carb Lunch Ideas
No carb lunch ideas are perfect when you're looking for low carb or keto meal prep ideas to take to work or when you're on the go. Eating almost no carbs at all for some of your meals is a way to quickly get your body into ketosis. What worked really well for my husband was to have one no carb meal like a no carb lunch so that we could have a few more carbs at breakfast and for dinner.
Here are some of our favorite one-carb to no carb snacks you can easily combine to make a simple and fast no-carb meal:
- 1-minute pepperoni chips
- dill pickles
- artichoke hearts
- beef sticks
- Salami slices
- parmesan chips
- Grilled chicken strips
Quick Keto Lunch Ideas
Here's a list of quick keto lunch ideas for work or when you're on the go (or simply just don't want to cook with a recipe!)
- Deli Roll-Ups: Roll slices of deli meat (turkey, ham, or roast beef) around cheese sticks or avocado slices.
- Tuna Salad in a Lettuce Wrap: Mix canned tuna with mayonnaise and a dash of mustard. Wrap it in lettuce leaves. This works with chicken salad too.
- Egg Salad Stuffed Avocados: Mix hard-boiled eggs with mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Spoon into halved avocados. You can do this with chicken salad too.
- Veggie Sticks with Guacamole or Dip: Cut cucumber, bell peppers, and celery into sticks. Serve with guacamole or a high-fat dip like ranch.
- Greek Salad: Combine diced cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
- Chicken Caesar Salad: Toss together Romaine lettuce, grilled chicken strips, Parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing.
- Cottage Cheese Bowl: Mix cottage cheese with a few chopped nuts and a small amount of berries or diced avocado.
- Chicken Salad with Pecans: Mix cooked chicken with mayo, Dijon mustard, chopped celery, and pecans. Eat the chicken salad straight from the bowl for a hearty salad or serve on lettuce leaves.
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Roll-Ups: Spread cream cheese on smoked salmon slices and roll them up.
- Avocado and Shrimp Salad: Toss cooked shrimp with avocado chunks, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Adding in low carb vegetables like cucumber slices and grape tomatoes is tasty too.
- Cold Cut Platter: Lay out a selection of cold cuts like ham, turkey, and roast beef, along with cheese slices, nuts, and olives. Grilled chicken would be yummy too.
- Protein-Packed Salad: Mix together your choice of cooked protein (chicken, steak, or tofu), with mixed greens, avocado, and a high-fat dressing.
Low Carb Meal Prep FAQ's
If you're specifically following a keto diet and eating even less carbs than someone would if they're eating low carbs, here are some things to consider:
Understand Keto Macros: Familiarize yourself with the keto macronutrient ratios which are typically around 70-75% fats, 20-25% protein, and 5-10% carbohydrates.
Plan Your Meals: Plan your meals for the week. Include a variety of foods so you don’t get bored. Focus on low-carb vegetables, high-quality proteins, and healthy fats.
Create a Shopping List: Make a detailed shopping list based on the meals you’ve planned. This will help ensure that you have all the ingredients needed for your meal prep.
Shop Smart: When shopping, focus on fresh, whole ingredients and avoid processed foods. Look for low-carb vegetables, grass-fed meats, high-fat dairy, and healthy fats such as avocados, nuts, and olive oil.
Prep Ingredients: Wash and chop vegetables, marinate meats, and get any other ingredients ready for cooking. This step will save you time during the actual cooking process.
Cook in Batches: Cook meals in large quantities so you’ll have leftovers to use throughout the week. For example, you can bake a tray of chicken breasts, roast a bunch of vegetables, or make a big pot of soup.
Portion and Store: Divide the cooked meals into portion-sized containers. Consider using containers that have compartments to keep different food items separate.
Refrigerate or Freeze: Store the containers in the fridge or freezer depending on how soon you plan on eating them. Typically, meals stored in the fridge should be consumed within 3-4 days, while frozen meals can last a few weeks.
Reheat and Enjoy: When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat the meals in the microwave or oven (if using an oven-safe container) and enjoy!
If you're on the go and forgot to pack your low carb lunch in advance, here's an entertaining YouTube Video. Here they show you the best 5 low carb and keto fast food stops and what to order.
More Keto Lunch Meal Prep Ideas
Looking for even more keto meal prep ideas for lunch?
- 21 Easy Keto Meals for Beginners
- 30 Quick Healthy Meal Prep Ideas
- 14 Easy Low Carb Wraps
- 16 Keto bowls to meal prep
And be sure to post our 60 keto lunch ideas to meal prep post to Pinterest so you can easily find it again later!